METRO NEW YORK LABOR COMMUNICATIONS COUNCIL STATEMENT IN PROTEST OF THE POLICE MURDER OF GEORGE FLOYD
As labor activists, members of the Metro New York Labor Communications Council condemn the recent police killing of George Floyd. At the same time, we demand:
- That the three police accomplices be indicted for murder;
- That all police forces desist in their practice of racial profiling and racist arrests of people of color;
- That prosecutors desist in bringing criminal charges based on racial profiling and economic inequality;
- That both houses of Congress pass legislation withholding federal support for police forces that fail to implement effective anti-racist policies in their every day performance;
- And that President Trump cease releasing inflammatory and degrading comments that encourage right wing racists to acts of violence.
Institutional, legalized and cultural racism has persisted for too long in the United States. It is time to bring an end to racism in all its forms, and to provide equal opportunities to all for work, education, health care and community membership, regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin or sexual orientation/expression.
If your union is supporting any public action, such as a rally or an online public event, in support of justice for George Floyd, please feel free to post to our listserv. Also email us at and we will ask all of our members to support your initiative.
When we stand together, we stand strong.
In solidarity, Timothy Sheard, Chair, Metro NY